Netwrix Corporation, a provider of IT auditing software that delivers complete visibility into IT infrastructure changes and data access, released the results of its global 2015 Cloud Security Survey that show that when it comes to migrating to the cloud, 65% of companies are concerned with security and 40% are concerned with their loss of physical control over data in the cloud.
While security is gaining increasing attention from cloud technology and service providers, the lack of visibility into sensitive data stored externally increases security risks and raises fears that are still holding back wider cloud adoption. Netwrix surveyed more than 600 IT professionals worldwide, who represent technology, manufacturing, government, healthcare, finance, education and other industries, to answer questions about cloud security, expectations from cloud providers and measures being taken to ensure data security.
Other key survey findings show that:
- A hybrid cloud deployment model is preferred by 44% of respondents as they transition from on premises infrastructure to a cloud-based model. Private clouds attract 37% of organizations prepared to invest in additional security.
- 69% of companies are afraid that migration to the cloud will increase risks of unauthorized access while 43% worry about account hijacking.
- Companies migrating to the cloud plan to enforce internal security policies: 56% plan to improve identity and authentication management; 51% will utilize encryption; and around 45% of medium and large enterprises plan to establish auditing of changes and user activity.
- Overall, 13% of organizations reject adoption of cloud technology in the near future. However, 30% of them are ready to reconsider their decision as soon as cloud security mechanisms are improved.
- Some 30% of organizations already take advantage of improved cloud security, while more than 40% of organizations are ready to invest in additional security guarantees, if offered.
- Overall, 71% of enterprises perceive continuous auditing of cloud infrastructure as a very important part of security guarantees to ensure data integrity in the cloud.
To find more details, figures and graphs, please, download a complete copy of the Netwrix 2015 Cloud Security Survey.